Monday, February 23, 2009

Supreme Court Reform Ideas

A group of legal scholars and attorneys gathered recently to develop a detailed proposal to reform the Supreme Court. Among the items addressed are term lengths and appointments as well as changes in how the high court actually handles and picks its cases.

I'm not averse to making some changes to the Supreme Court. For instance, I've always believed that in a democratic society no public office of any sort should be a lifetime appointment. I don't think the Founding Fathers were wrong about too many things, but I think they fouled the ball on that one. On the other hand, I'm extremely concerned about the idea of making fundamental changes to the judicial branch of our government when the Democrats control the White House and Congress. They simply don't have the respect for the rule of law necessary to undertake such a mature task.