Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Public school folly:

Originally I wasn’t going to comment about the extra $2 billion that a New York State court order to be paid to New York City schools. However after hearing some of the complaints from the plaintiffs I just had to chime in.

After the decision one of the lawyers on behalf of the plaintiffs claimed that because they didn’t get $5 billion, children would now not be able to read and do math. Now correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t see how an extra $5 billon or even $2 billion is going to make children learn how to read and do math. How come the Catholic school system doesn’t need to raise it’s budget by billions of dollars every year to make sure those kids know how to read and do math?

As someone who went to Catholic school as a child and teenager and now sends his son to Catholic school, I personally enjoy watching them make a mockery out of the public school system year after year.